The original hull on
which YNOT Wilbur is based, was designed and built by Wilbur
Storter of Naples, Florida. The boat was built for
Letty DuPont Downs of Richardson Lake, Maine in the early
Sisters Letty and
Molly DuPont were married to brothers Robert and Ellason
Downs. In the 1950's, while in Florida, Robert Downs
saw and admired a Storter Boat. His wife Letty had a
25' Storter built and shipped to Maine, where the couples
had cottages on Upper Richardon Lake.
The boat was
constructed of cypress frames and cypress planks with
mahogany decks. The hull was painted white and named "Molet-Mac"
after Molly, Letty and "Mac" (the nickname of one of the
Molet-Mac was used
by the Downs family until the late 1960's/early 1970's
when the boat was sold to Larry and Alys Parsons. The
Parsons' owned Lakewood Camps, a sporting camp on Lower
Richardson Lake with water only access. The boat was
used in the camp's fleet to transport guests and their
dunage until the early to mid 1980's when it was hauled onto
the ways at Rifle Point and never used again.
In the mid 1990's
the boat was transported to Northport, Maine by Charlie
Dhyce with the intention of becoming a personal restoration
project. Several years past without restoration and
Molet-Mac was offered for sale. The boat was purchased
by the LeDonne family of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the
fall of 2001.
The black and white
photos and history of Molet-Mac were provided by Ted Orino
of South Rumford and Richardson Lake, Maine. In July,
2008, YNOT Wilbur returned to the docks of
and Richardson Lake, Maine.